Prof. Daman Saluja,is currently a Professor at Medical Biotechnology Laboratory, Dr B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi, North Campus. She got her Doctoral degree in 1986 from University of Delhi, Delhi. Prof. Daman Saluja worked as a Research Scientist in various capacity (1987-1990) at University of Delhi. She then joined New York University Medical Center, U.S.A. where she worked as Assistant Research Scientist at Department of Biochemistry (1990-1993). Later she joined Department of Microbiology (NYU medical Center) and worked as Assistant Research Scientist from 1993-1997.
Dr Saluja joined Dr B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research, University of Delhi as Reader in 1997 and later became Professor in 2007. She was also the Officiating Director of Dr B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research from 2006 to 2010.
Prof. Saluja has received several awards and scholarships including National Science Talent Scholarship (1975-1984). She is recipient of Prestigious, INSA Young Scientist Medal and LSS Kumar Memorial Award in 1989 by Indian National Science Academy. Recently, on May 11th, 2013 on Technology Day she was awarded ‘The Biotech Product & Process Development and Commercialization Award’ of 2013 by the Honourable President of India for her outstanding contribution in the development of novel method of Beacon based PCR diagnostic kit for Neisseriagonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis.She was also selected for Khorana Program Technology Transfer course 2013 under Indo-US science and technology Forum.
For the past fifteen years, Laboratory of Prof. Saluja has been working in the area of Medical Biotechnology. Her primary contribution is in the development of beacon based Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)mediated diagnostic assays for sexually transmitted diseases caused by Neisseriagonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis and Trichomonasvaginalis, Currently her lab is working on LAMP based diagnosis of Mycobacteriumtuberculosis. In collaboration with Industry, Dr Saluja has also designed a low cost, hand held LAMP-PCR machine. More recently, her group has developed low cost, novel method of qPCR for the detection and quantification of bcr/abl transcript for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML) and for acute myeloid leukemia (AML) and are also looking into anti-leukemic activity of plant extracts. She is author often patent applications and one Indian and one US patent has been granted.Her laboratory is also looking at regulation of gene expression in eukaryotes using sin3B as a model system. Sin3B is an important co-repressor involved in p53 mediated gene repression under genotoxic and non-genotoxic stress. Their findings suggest that Sin3 plays a pivotal role in regulating cell cycle and apoptosis under conditions of cellular stress. More recently, they have established that Sin3 regulates life span and autophagy in eukaryotes.
Prof Daman Saluja has published more than 80 original research papers in International Journals. She has produced 20 Ph.D. students and more than 50 students have done project work (M.Sc and SURP) under her guidance. She has been invited to several Nationaland International conferences.Ongoing Projects:
- 1. “Understanding the role of Human Sin3B in P53 – mediated gene repression” Funding Agency CSIR , (Dec.2010–Dec.2013)
- 2. “Loop mediated amplification (LAMP) based method for detection of active and MDR/XDR pulmonary tuberculosis” Funding Agency Department of Biotechnology (DBT) (August 2011 – August 2013)
- 3. “Development and evaluation of chip-based multiplex diagnostic test for HPV, C trachomatis N gonorrhoeae and genital tuberculosis” Funding Agency: University of Delhi (Jan 2012 – March 2014)
- 1. Nimesh M, Joon D, Varma-Basil M, Saluja D. (2014) Development and clinical evaluation of sdaA loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis with an approach to prevent carryover contamination.J ClinMicrobiol. 2014 Jul;52(7):2662-4. doi: 10.1128/JCM. 00907-14. Epub 2014 Apr 30.PMID: 24789191
- 2. Patel AL, Mishra PK, Sachdev D, Chaudhary U, Patton DL, Saluja D. (2014)Seroprevalenceof antibodies against Pkn1, a novel potential immunogen, in Chlamydia trachomatis-infected Macacanemestrina and human patients.Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:245483. doi: 10.1155/2014/245483. Epub 2014 Jun 18. PMID: 25032212
- 3. Chandra S, Narang R, Sreenivas V, Bhatia J, Saluja D, Srivastava K. (2014)Association of angiotensin II type 1 receptor (A1166C) gene polymorphism and its increased expression in essential hypertension: a case-control study.PLoS One. 2014 Jul 3;9(7):e101502. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0101502. eCollection 2014. PMID: 24992666
- 4. Faiq MA, Ali M, Dada T, Dada R, Saluja D. (2014) A novel methodology for enhanced and consistent heterologous expression of unmodified human cytochrome P450 1B1 (CYP1B1).PLoS One. 2014 Oct 16;9(10):e110473. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0110473. eCollection 2014. PMID: 25329831
- 5. Faiq, MA., Dada, R., Sharma, R., Saluja D., & Dada, T., (2014) CYP1B1: A Unique Gene with Unique Characteristics.Curr Drug Metab. 15(9): 893-914.
- 6. Sawney, S., Arora, R., Aggarwal, K., K., & Saluja D., (2015) Esculetin Downregulates the Expression of AML1-ETO and C-Kit in Kasumi-1 Cell Line by Decreasing Half-Life of mRNA, J of Oncology, 8
- 7. Gupta, S., Kumar, P., Kaur, H., Sharma, N., Saluja D., Bharti, AC., Das, BC.,(2015). Selective participation of c-Jun with Fra-2/c-Fos promotes aggressive tumor phenotypes and poor prognosis in tongue cancer. Sci. report19;5:16811
- 8. Kadamb, R., Mittal, S., Bansal, N., & Saluja D., (2015) Stress-mediated Sin3B activation leads to negative regulation of subset of p53 target genes.Biosci Rep 25;35(4)
- 9. Joon, D., Nimesh, M., & Saluja D., (2015) Loop-mediated isothermal amplification as alternative to PCR for the diagnosis of extra-pulmonary tuberculosis.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis.19(8):986-91
- 10. Singh, S., Pandey, S., Bhatt, AN., Chaudhary, R., Bhuria, V., Kalra, N., Soni, R., Roy, BG., Saluja D., &Dwarakanath, BS., (2015)Chronic Dietary Administration of the Glycolytic Inhibitor 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose (2-DG) Inhibits the Growth of Implanted Ehrlich's Ascites Tumor in Mice.PLoS One.10(7):e0132089
- 11. Mishra, A., Kumar, R., Tyagi, A., Kohaar, I., Hedau, S., Bharti, AC., Sarker, S., Dey, D., Saluja D., & Das, B., (2015)Curcumin modulates cellular AP-1, NF-kB, and HPV16 E6 proteins in oral cancer.Ecancermedicalscience9:525
- 12. Chandra, S., Saluja D., Narang, R., Bhatia, J., &Srivastava, K., (2015)Atrial natriuretic peptide and aldosterone synthase gene in essential hypertension: a case-control study.Gene.567(1):92-
- 13. Hasan, T., Ali, M., Saluja D., & Singh, LR.(2015) pH might play a role in regulating the function of paired amphipathic helices domains of human Sin3B by altering structure and thermodynamic stability.Biochemistry (Mosc)80(4):424-32
- 14. Sachdev, D., Patel, AL., Sonkar, SC., Kumari, I., & Saluja D., (2015) Diagnosis of Neisseria gonorrhoeae using molecular beacon.Biomed Res Int597432
- 15. Srivastava, K., Narang, R., Bhatia, J., & Saluja D., (2016) Expression of Heat Shock Protein 70 Gene and Its Correlation with Inflammatory Markers in Essential Hypertension.PLoS One11(3):e0151060
- 16. Arora R, Sawney S, Saluja D. (2016)Potential Therapeutic Approaches for the Treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia with AML1-ETO Translocation.Curr Cancer Drug Targets.16(3):215-25.
- 17. Sonkar SC, Wasnik K, Kumar A, Mittal P, Saluja D. (2016)Comparative analysis of syndromic and PCR-based diagnostic assay reveals misdiagnosis/ overtreatment for trichomoniasis based on subjective judgment in symptomatic patients.Infect Dis Poverty. 2016 May 5;5:42. doi: 10.1186/s40249-016-0133-x